What is the Candela GentleLASE® laser and why is it a safe treatment?
Lasers have been used for many years for a variety of medical cosmetic procedures including treatment of facial and leg veins, age spots and rejuvenating the skin on the face.
The GentleLASE System, a revolutionary long-pulse high energy alexandrite laser emits a gentle beam of light that passes through the skin to the hair follicle where it is absorbed. The laser energy is transformed into heat, which destroys the hair follicle leaving the surrounding skin unaffected.
The skin is further protected during treatment by a Dynamic Cooling Device where cryogen is sprayed onto the skin cooling the upper layers and providing patients with increased comfort. The GentleLASE selectivity helps to protect the skin, while effectively treating the unwanted hair.
What precautions should be taken before and after treatment?
- Avoid the sun 4-6 weeks before and after treatment or until your practitioner allows it.
- You must avoid electrolysis, plucking or waxing hair for 6 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you have had a history of perioral herpes, prophylactic antiviral therapy may be prescribed.
- If you have a dark skin type, a bleaching cream may be started 4-6 weeks before treatment to optimize results.
- You should discuss your desired results and the improvements you expect to achieve with your practitioner. Together you can decide if your expectations will be met and if this laser treatment is the best option.
How many treatments will I need?
Hair grows in cycles. The number of treatments required depends upon your skin color, hair color and coarseness of the hair. Everyone will require at least 2-3 treatments as the process is only effective on hair during the early growing cycle. Repeat sessions will be necessary to treat these follicles when they re-enter the early growth phase.
Is this procedure covered by insurance?
Most insurance companies do not offer reimbursement for cosmetic procedures. However, consult with your insurance carrier for more information.
What Condition are treated with the laser?
Traditional hair removal techniques such as shaving plucking waxing and depilatory creams provide only temporary relief. Until now, the only recognized way to remove hair permanently has been by electrolysis – which can be tedious, time-consuming and uncomfortable. The GentleLASE System safely removes unwanted body hair without damaging the delicate pore and structure of the skin, Facial and bikini areas are usually completed in under ten minutes; legs, backs and larger areas can take longer.
What other conditions does the GentleLASE treat?
The GentleLASE System is also effective for the treatment of the large, “blue” leg veins.
GentleLASE safely removes unwanted hair without damaging the delicate pores and structures of the skin.
What does the treatment include:
Depending on the amount of hair treated. The procedure varies from patient to patient. Generally the treatment will include:
Before and After Treatment of the GentleLASE® (Before / After)
- Wearing safely eyewear to protect the practitioner and patient’s eyes from the laser light during the procedure.
- A small handpiece will be used that touches the skin to deliver the laser light. A light spray of coolant onto the skin will be felt just before each laser pulse.
- A test area will be done prior to the entire treatment. Your full treatment may be done on the same day or up to two weeks later depending on the skin reaction.
- Most patients experience little discomfort at the treatment site because of the dynamic cooling device.
- The degree of discomfort varies with each person depending on his/her pain threshold. Topical anesthesia may also be requested based on individual preferences or tolerances. Be sure to discuss this with your practitioner in advance of the laser treatment.
- The Procedure can take as little as ten minutes or up to an hour. Depending on the area treated.
- The treated area may become pink or red within 30 minutes of treatment; this may last from a few hours to several days and is relieved with the application of ice or cooling gels.
||We would like to thank Candela Corporation for providing website content.